Flexible Location: Oakland, San Jose, Fresno, Long Beach
Californians for Justice is a statewide, youth-powered organization fighting to improve the lives of people of color, immigrants, low-income families, LGBQiA2S+/TGNC youth, and other marginalized communities. Through organizing in schools and in their neighborhoods, youth who join Californians for Justice become leaders in their own communities. They deepen their knowledge on issues like systemic racism, gender and sexuality, and education inequity, and organize and activate their peers to take action.
CFJ is the only grassroots, youth-powered organization in California that organizes students to have a voice in both local and statewide education policy. Our campaign and policy reform goals include adequate and equitable school funding, increased access and success in K-12 and higher education, and creating Relationship Centered Schools – schools that invest in youth voice, in staff, and in creating space for youth and adults to build positive relationships with one another. CFJ currently has four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, San Jose, and Oakland, 35 full-time equivalent staff, and a budget of $5.5 million.
Californians for Justice has been successful because of our strong, dedicated staff team. CFJ staff are unwavering in their commitment to youth power and racial justice, to building connection and trust with their teams, and have a strong sense of purpose and dignity in their work.
The Policy Coordinator will conduct research, tracking, and analysis on key budget and policy priorities that advance the mission of CFJ. The Policy Coordinator will work internally with staff and leaders and externally with partners and key decision-makers to attend and coordinate advocacy opportunities at relevant hearings and meetings.
The Policy Coordinator will also participate in CFJ’s local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, alliance work, and electoral organizing.
The Policy Coordinator is part of the CFJ State Policy team, which consist of:
Policy and Alliance Director, Statewide Community Researcher, and Senior Strategy Director. The Policy Coordinator reports to the Policy and Alliance Director and will work collaboratively across departments and teams in the organization. The position is full‐time and non-exempt. Some weekends and late evenings may be required.
Bill and Budget Tracking and Research (40%)
- Track, research and analyze relevant budget and bill priorities
- Attending relevant budget and bill hearings and meetings
- Coordinate with State Policy Team and regional organizing teams and allies about presence/actions at hearings
- Complete extensive literature reviews, online research and interviews on various policy topics
- Assist in developing policy briefs, report writing, and quantitative/qualitative analysis
- Prepare materials and reports for meetings
External State Policy and Budget Advocacy (25%)
- Work in coordination with State Policy Team to advance policy and budget advocacy efforts
- Work in collaboration with partner organizations, analyze political opportunities and develop winning campaign plans and strategies
- Represent CFJ in key policy and advocacy stakeholder networks
- Serve as liaison with relevant organizations and coalitions
- Stay apprised of developments related to state and local policy and advocacy efforts
- Work with internal and external partners and stakeholders to ensure that there is a clear understanding of project expectations and deliverables
Internal State Policy and Budget Advocacy (25%)
- Research and analysis on local policy and budget priorities
- Support project implementation for current and emerging CFJ cross-programmatic efforts
- Support the team to identify, initiate, and deepen relationships with broad array of policy, research and community-based stakeholders, relevant government staff, and political leadership
- State policy administrative duties including scheduling meetings, facilitation, preparing agendas, and more
- Coordinate logistics, database development, outreach/publicity materials and distribution related to the State Policy Team policy advocacy efforts
- Provide support and contribute ideas in team strategic brainstorming sessions
Organization-wide responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation
- Participate in and be accountable to cross-department committees and teams
- Assume rotating meeting facilitation, notetaking and tech support roles and responsibilities as needed
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaigns and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: Policy analysis, policy research, policy advocacy, campaign strategy, alliance building, and educational policy
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Strong interpersonal and team‐building skills, particularly with key decision-makers and allies
- Ability to energize, inspire, and move young people to action
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail and follow‐through
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, G-Suite and a variety of applications
- Available to work flexible hours, including afternoons and occasional evenings and weekends
- Available to attend relevant in-person hearings, meetings, events, etc.
- Has experience in and/or knowledge of the California education landscape and the budget and legislative process
Currently (as of May 2022), all CFJ staff are working virtually in the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Upon returning to in-person operations (likely sometime this Fall), this position will work out of CFJ’s offices (preferably San Jose or Oakland, flexible with Long Beach and Fresno) and will commute to Sacramento frequently during the legislative cycle and as needed. Our offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation
- Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Able to see or read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids
- Able to speak clearly and in audible tones on the phone and in-person and be understood by others
- Able to hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds
$26.21 – $31.40 per hour plus overtime and depending on experience and qualifications as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Policy Coordinator – Your Name.”
As a multi-racial organization, CFJ is 95% people of color, we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace where every staff member feels heard, supported, valued, and can share their authentic brilliance to move the CFJ mission forward. CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. We are committed to addressing issues of racism and inequity internally and externally.