People and Operations Manager
People & Operations Manager
Location: Any of CFJ’s regional offices (Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose)
Californians for Justice is a statewide, youth-powered organization fighting to improve the lives of people of color, immigrants, low-income families, LGBQiA2S+/TGNC youth and other marginalized communities. Through organizing in schools and in their neighborhoods, youth who join Californians for Justice become leaders in their own communities. They deepen their knowledge on issues like systemic racism, gender and sexuality, and education inequity, and organize and activate their peers to take action.
CFJ is the only grassroots, youth-powered organization in California that organizes students to have a voice in both local and statewide education policy. Our campaign and policy reform goals include adequate and equitable school funding, increased access and success in K-12 and higher education, and creating Relationship Centered Schools – schools that invest in youth voice, in staff, and in creating space for youth and adults to build positive relationships with one another. CFJ currently has four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, San Jose and Oakland, 40 full-time equivalent staff and a budget of $5.5 million.
Californians for Justice has been successful because of our strong, dedicated staff team. CFJ staff are unwavering in their commitment to youth power and racial justice, to building connection and trust with their teams, and have a strong sense of purpose and dignity in their work.
Do you have 3-5 years of nonprofit human resources & operations under your belt and want to work at a nonprofit that centers social & racial justice? Californians for Justice has grown substantially in recent years, and we are hiring for a People & Operations Manager to support our ever-expanding operations work.
The People & Operations Manager will be a part of a 7-person operations team that handles finance, human resources, and administration for CFJ and our fiscally sponsored project, Youth Organize! California. The role will focus on human resources administration (i.e. payroll, benefits, salary ranges, hiring & onboarding) and nonprofit operations (i.e. offices, technology, legal compliance & risk management). Other positions on the team focus on professional development, performance, and organizational culture.
We are seeking a competent team member who is good with both systems and people, and who is excited to explore how to do operations work while centering racial justice values. If that sounds like a fit, join us!
The position reports to a director and works closely with or supervises a coordinator who supports CFJ’s HR & administrative processes. The position is full-time and exempt. In all duties and responsibilities, this position exercises discretion and independent judgment. The position can be based in any of CFJ’s four offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland or San Jose. (We are currently working remotely/hybrid due to COVID-19.)
Human Resources Administration (60%)
With support from the People & Operations Coordinator, manage all HR administrative processes for a staff of 45+ people, including a fiscally sponsored project for whom we provide HR support.
- Manage payroll and all payroll-related systems
- Manage benefits, including but not limited to health care, PTO, 401k, EAP, and parental leave. This includes adding and terminating staff, completing regular administrative tasks, and researching new benefit plans
- Manage the hiring of new staff members including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and orientation, as well as offboarding and other staff transitions
- Manage salaries, including periodically updating salary ranges, conducting salary comparisons, and working with managers to implement salary changes
- Manage performance management at CFJ, including annual performance reviews, individual goal-setting, professional development, and providing coaching to staff and managers to ensure quality and consistency and solve personnel issues
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of labor law and assure organizational compliance, including providing guidance to staff and managing organizational risks
- Supervise the People & Operations Coordinator
- Work with the People & Operations Director to update personnel policies relevant to your areas of responsibility on an annual basis
- Continually improve HR practices, including aligning processes with racial justice values
- Research, problem-solve, and make recommendations on complex HR administrative questions that inevitably arise
- Support the People & Operations Director on other human resource matters as needed
Nonprofit Infrastructure and Technology (35%)
Manage all nonprofit infrastructure and technology systems for CFJ’s four regional offices.
- Support the Operations Coordinator, who is the go-to person for all administrative and technology issues for staff and four regional offices
- Manage support of regional offices, including equipment, phones, internet, etc.
- Manage office moves (CFJ has four offices, so we often have at least one office move happening at any given time.)
- Manage all technology systems and ensure that they meet the needs of staff and the organization
- Manage maintenance of all computers & other physical equipment, including wifi network, printers, software, and backup systems
- Manage administration of email systems and document systems, including Google Suite systems
- Lead technology planning, including assessing current and future technology needs. Continually manage projects to improve CFJ systems
- Manage systems and processes related to risk management and legal compliance, such as insurance
- Track and report CFJ’s 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
Organization-wide responsibilities (5%)
- Participate in CFJ grassroots fundraising campaigns and events.
- Participate in occasional organization-wide campaign events.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Support some finance processes and projects as needed, such as the annual budgeting process or providing information to finance staff for payroll reconciliation.
- Other duties as needed.
- 3-5 years of experience in a range of nonprofit human resource functions, including at least some of the following areas: payroll, benefits, hiring, onboarding, orientation, personnel policies, and salary range updates
- At least two years of experience coordinating payroll
- At least two years of direct supervision experience
- Familiarity with key federal and state labor and payroll laws
- Technology knowledge and experience working with various platforms and tools including Google Suite, Slack, Zoom, etc.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work and support people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, sexual, and gender backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to set up processes, systems, and workflows, ensure adherence and follow-up, and continually improve them
- Experience in administering complex policies and procedures
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good judgment to manage sensitive and confidential matters
- Exceptional attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Self-starting and proactive
- Ability to organize and prioritize a complex work plan with ever-changing details. Excellent time management skills
- Strong analytical and research skills; ability to research, learn, and make a recommendation about HR and technology issues
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Coaching skills
- Experience tracking and reporting 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
- Proficiency with G Suite (formerly Google Apps)
- Experience with the nonprofit fiscal sponsorship model
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose (whatever the candidate’s preference).
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation
- Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Able to see or read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids
- Able to speak clearly and in audible tones on the phone and in person and be understood by others
- Able to hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds
$59,000-$70,600 plus overtime depending on experience and qualifications, as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time, as well as their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “People & Operations Manager – Your Name.”
As a multi-racial organization, CFJ is 95% people of color, we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace where every staff member feels heard, supported, valued, and can share their authentic brilliance to move the CFJ mission forward. CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. We are committed to addressing issues of racism and inequity internally and externally.