Organizer — Long Beach
The Organizer will lead and coordinate CFJ’s grassroots organizing work in Long Beach through base building, leadership development and other activities with high school students. The Organizer will also participate in CFJ’s local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, alliance work, and electoral organizing.
The Organizer is part of a four-person team: an Organizing Director, Lead Organizer, and two Organizers. The Organizer reports to the Lead Organizer in Long Beach and also works closely with the other CFJ regional organizers. The position is full‐time and non-exempt. Organizers have a schedule of Mon – Fri 10/10:30 AM – 6:30/7 PM, some weekends and late evenings may be required.
- Conduct regular base building activities with high school students including but not limited to: school outreach, classroom presentations, phone banking, establishment of school-based chapter(s) and maintaining a healthy base of students at chapter(s).
- Lead Long Beach leadership development work through weekly student leader meetings, skills building sessions, coordination of regular one-on-one check-ins, and political education.
- Lead Long Beach leadership development tracking and oversee our membership numbers and each member’s individual leadership development goals.
- Supervise high school interns and build their leadership skills.
- Support our local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, and electoral organizing.
- Participate in ally events and meetings to build and maintain CFJ’s visibility and community solidarity.
- Organization-wide responsibilities
- Participate in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Rotating meeting facilitation and note taking.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaigns and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One or more years of experience leading youth organizing efforts and/or educational advocacy.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment.
- Strong interpersonal and team‐building skills, particularly with high school students and key decision-makers.
- Ability to energize, inspire, and move young people to action.
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow‐through.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and a variety of applications.
- California driver’s license, insurance, and regular access to a 4‐5 seat passenger car.
- Available to work flexible hours, including afternoons and occasional evening and weekend events.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: action research, campaign strategy, curriculum development, alliance building, media outreach, grassroots fundraising, and educational policy.
- Has experience in and/or knowledge of the culture and history of youth organizing and education advocacy in Long Beach.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Proficiency with Apple computers and G-Suite.
The position will be located in CFJ’s Long Beach Office. Our office is located on the 6th floor with Elevator and stair access. Our offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk for extended periods of time.
- Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly in English on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Approximately $21-$26/hour (about $45,500 to $54,500/year) including overtime, depending on experience and qualifications as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Long Beach Organizer – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender non-conforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.