Organizer – Fresno
The Organizer will lead and coordinate CFJ’s grassroots organizing work in Fresno through base building, leadership development and other activities with high school students. The Organizer will also participate in CFJ’s local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, alliance work, and electoral organizing.
The Organizer is part of a four-person team: an Organizing Director, Lead Organizer, and two Organizers. The Organizer reports to the Lead Organizer in Fresno and also works closely with the other CFJ regional organizers in Long Beach, Oakland, and San Jose. The position is full‐time and non-exempt. Organizers have a schedule of Mon – Fri 10/10:30 AM – 6:30/7 PM. Some weekends and late evenings may be required.
- Conduct regular base building activities with high school students including but not limited to: school outreach, classroom presentations, phone banking, establishment of school-based chapter(s) and maintaining a healthy base of students at chapter(s).
- Conduct Fresno leadership development work through weekly student leader meetings, skills building sessions, coordination of regular one-on-one check-ins, and political education.
- Participate in Fresno leadership development tracking and oversee overall membership numbers and each member’s individual leadership development goals.
- Supervise high school interns and build their leadership skills.
- Support local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, and electoral organizing.
- Participate in ally events and meetings to build and maintain CFJ’s visibility and community solidarity.
- Organization-wide responsibilities
- Participate in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Rotating meeting facilitation and note taking.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaigns and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One or more years of experience leading youth organizing efforts and/or educational advocacy.
- Strong interpersonal and team‐building skills, particularly with high school students and key decision-makers.
- Ability to energize, inspire, and move young people to action.
- Strong facilitation skills with youth leaders that is engaging, inspiring and interactive.
- Excellent ability to track and maintain data, re: leadership development and base building of high school youth leaders.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow‐through.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Comfortable with an insider strategy working closely and in partnership with decision makers.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment.
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and a variety of applications.
- California driver’s license, insurance, and regular access to a 4‐5 seat passenger car.
- Available to work flexible hours, including occasional evening and weekend events.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: action research, campaign strategy, curriculum development, alliance building, media outreach, grassroots fundraising, and educational policy.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of the culture and history of youth organizing and education advocacy in Fresno.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Proficiency with Apple computers and G-Suite.
The position will be located in CFJ’s Fresno office, although we are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. Our offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to see or read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids
- Able to speak clearly and in audible tones on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone.
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Approximately $22.40-$26.85/hour, plus overtime, depending on experience and qualifications as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications to email@example.com with the subject line “Fresno Youth Organizer – Your Name.”
As a multi-racial organization, CFJ is 95% people of color, we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace where every staff member feels heard, supported, valued, and can share their authentic brilliance to move the CFJ mission forward. CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. We are committed to addressing issues of racism and inequity internally and externally.