Operations & HR Manager (Flexible Location: Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland or San Jose)
Do you have 3-5 years of nonprofit human resources & operations under your belt and want to work at a nonprofit that centers social & racial justice? Californians for Justice has grown
substantially in recent years, and we are creating a new Operations & HR Manager position to support our ever-expanding operations work.
The Operations & HR Manager will be a part of a 7-person operations team that handles finance, human resources, and administration for CFJ and our fiscally sponsored project, Youth Organize! California. The role will focus on human resources administration (i.e. payroll, benefits, salary ranges, hiring & onboarding) and nonprofit operations (i.e. offices, technology, legal compliance & risk management). Other positions on the team focus on professional development, performance, and organizational culture.
We are seeking a competent team member who is good with both systems and people, and who is excited to explore how to do operations work while centering racial justice values. If that sounds like a fit, join us!
The position reports to a director and works closely with or supervises an associate who supports CFJ’s HR & administrative processes. The position is full-time and exempt. In all duties and responsibilities, this position exercises discretion and independent judgment. The position can be based in any of CFJ’s four offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland or San Jose. (We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19.)
Human Resources Administration (45%)
Working support from the Operations Associate, manage all HR administrative processes for a staff of 45+ people, including a fiscally sponsored project for whom we provide HR support. ● Manage payroll and all payroll-related systems.
- Manage benefits, including but not limited to health care, PTO, 401k, EAP, and parental leave. This includes adding and terminating staff, completing regular administrative tasks, and researching new benefit plans.
- Manage the hiring of new staff members including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and orientation, as well as offboarding and other staff transitions.
- Manage salaries, including periodically updating salary ranges, conducting salary comparisons, and working with managers to implement salary changes.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of labor law and assure organizational compliance, including providing guidance to staff and managing organizational risks.
- Update personnel policies relevant to your areas of responsibility on an annual basis. ● Continually improve HR practices, including aligning processes with racial justice values. ● Research, problem-solve, and make recommendations on complex HR administrative questions that inevitably arise.
- Support on other human resource matters as needed.
Nonprofit Infrastructure and Technology (40%)
Manage all nonprofit infrastructure and technology systems for CFJ’s four regional offices. ● Support the Operations Associate, who is the go-to person for all administrative and technology issues for staff and four regional offices.
- Manage support of regional offices, including equipment, phones, internet, etc. ● Manage office moves. (CFJ has four offices, so we often have at least one office move happening at any given time.)
- Manage all technology systems and ensure that they meet the needs of staff and the organization.
- Manage maintenance of all computers & other physical equipment, including wifi network, printers, software, and backup systems.
- Manage administration of email systems and document systems, including Google Suite systems.
- Lead technology planning, including assessing current and future technology needs. Continually manage projects to improve CFJ systems.
- Manage systems and processes related to risk management and legal compliance, such as insurance.
- Track and report CFJ’s 501(c)(3) lobbying activities.
Organization-wide responsibilities (5%)
- Participate in CFJ grassroots fundraising campaigns and events.
- Participate in occasional organization-wide campaign events.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Support some finance processes and projects as needed, such as the annual budgeting process or providing information to finance staff for payroll reconciliation. ● Other duties as needed.
- 3-5 years of experience in a range of nonprofit human resource functions, including at least some of the following areas: payroll, benefits, hiring, onboarding, orientation, personnel policies, and salary range updates.
- At least two years of experience coordinating payroll.
- At least two years of direct supervision experience.
- Familiarity with key federal and state labor and payroll laws.
- Technology knowledge and experience working with various platforms and tools including Google Suite, Slack, Zoom, etc.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work and support people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, sexual, and gender backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to set up processes, systems, and workflows, ensure adherence and follow-up, and continually improve them.
- Experience in administering complex policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good judgment to manage sensitive and confidential matters.
- Exceptional attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Self-starting and proactive.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a complex work plan with ever-changing details. Excellent time management skills.
- Strong analytical and research skills; ability to research, learn, and make a recommendation about HR and technology issues.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment.
- Coaching skills
- Experience tracking and reporting 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
- Proficiency with G Suite (formerly Google Apps)
- Experience with the nonprofit fiscal sponsorship model
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose (whatever the candidate’s preference).
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to see or read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids ● Able to speak clearly and in audible tones on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone. ● Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$58,250-$68,000, depending on experience and qualifications, as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time, as well as their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications to email@example.com with the subject line “Operations & HR Manager – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.