Operations Associate — Flexible Location (Fresno, Oakland, San Jose or Long Beach)
Californians for Justice is growing, and we are seeking someone to coordinate our increasingly complex HR and operations. The Operations Associate coordinates Californians for Justice’s human resources, administration & infrastructure, and office management. They may also provide some support to CFJ’s finance systems. This is a great opportunity for a self-starting and highly organized person who knows administration and enjoys working with people to strengthen the infrastructure of a respected social justice organization.
The Operations Associate is a full time, non-exempt position that will work with all four CFJ regions, report to the Operations and Human Resources Manager, and work closely with the rest of the operations team (Senior Operations Director, Finance Director, and Accounting Associate). The position can be located in any of CFJ’s four regional offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
Human Resources (45%)
- Support Operations & HR Manager on a range of human resource processes. Tasks include working within HR software, maintaining Excel documents, frequently communicating with staff, etc.
- Coordinate payroll from start to finish: calendar timesheet due dates for staff and supervisors, review timesheets before final submission,follow a series of steps to ensure accuracy, etc..
- Coordinate onboarding and offboarding of staff, and support hiring for open positions (post job descriptions).
- Support HR processes such as vacation/sick time tracking; health benefits enrollments, changes, and terminations; and 401K and EAP enrollment and access. We use Paychex for payroll and other HR processes.
- Manage biweekly all-staff calls, from scheduling to assigning facilitators and notetakers.
- Document processes and keep records, files, and manuals updated and accurate.
- Serve as the go-to person for all administrative and technology issues, communicating with staff in four regional offices.
- Coordinate and maintain administrative systems, for example staff directory, internal administrative website, and organization calendar.
- Maintain and support regional offices, including: coordinate ongoing office maintenance, identify and procure new equipment and arrange for equipment repair, manage relationships with landlords and vendors, and research new office space. Coordinate office moves from start to finish. (CFJ has 4 offices across the state.)
- Coordinate event logistics for 3 staff retreats and 4 board meetings a year: find and research meeting space, book transportation, arrange food, oversee space set-up, and act as the point person on the day of the events.
- Coordinate and maintain all technology systems.
- Identify and procure new computers, office technology, and equipment. Maintain accurate tracking and management of all physical assets.
- Maintain all computers, including wifi network, computers, printers, software, and backup systems. Coordinate with technology vendors as needed for equipment repair.
- Provide technical assistance to staff on computer and software issues. Orient and train staff on the use of technology.
- Administer email systems and document systems, including Google Suite systems.
- Manage other vendor relations and contracts, including phone and internet providers, printer/copier companies, etc.
- Support technology planning, including assessing current and future technology needs.
- Initiate, research, and implement projects to improve CFJ systems.
- Support some financial processes as needed, such as staff reimbursements & intern payments.
Organization-wide responsibilities (5%)
- Participate in CFJ grassroots fundraising campaigns and events
- Participate in occasional organization-wide campaign events
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams
- Make travel and lodging arrangements for team members
- Other duties as needed
- At least one year of experience in administrative functions
- Tech savvy and a self-learner – able to identify what you don’t know and find the answer.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through. Able to prioritize workflow and ability to compile and assess numerical data with high accuracy.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to transfer knowledge and train others in the use of technology like payroll. Able to negotiate and maintain relationships with outside vendors & contractors. Able to work and support people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, sexual, and gender backgrounds.
- Resourcefulness, troubleshooting, and problem solving abilities.
- Self-starting and proactive
- Able to set up processes, systems, and workflows, ensure adherence and follow-up, and continually improve them
- Highly organized with respect to documentation, processes and physical spaces
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel
- Familiarity with project management software
- Experience administering technology systems
- Experience troubleshooting issues with computers and applications
- Familiarity with G Suite – Gmail, Docs, Spreadsheets, Drive, and Calendar
- Knowledge of Mac operating systems and software
This position will work out of one of CFJ’s four regional offices. Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Hourly pay equivalent to approximately $45,500-$54,500 per year including overtime, depending on experience and qualifications. CFJ provides a generous benefits package; we pay 100% of monthly premiums for medical, vision, and dental coverage for full-time staff (20+ hours/week) and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Operations Associate – Your Name.”
CFJ is a racial justice organization and an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.