Operations and Technology Associate (Flexible location – Oakland, San Jose, Fresno or Long Beach)
Californians for Justice is growing, and we are seeking someone who can take our infrastructure and technology to the next level. The Operations and Technology Associate coordinates Californians for Justices’ technology systems, administration & infrastructure, and office management. They will also provide some support to CFJ’s human resource and finance systems. This is a great opportunity for a self-starting and highly organized person who knows technology to strengthen the infrastructure of a respected social justice organization.
The Operations and Technology Associate is a full time, non-exempt position that will work with all four CFJ regions, report to the Operations and HR Manager, and work with the Senior Operations Director. The position can be located in any of CFJ’s four regional offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
Administration & Technology (70%)
- Serve as the go-to person for all administrative and technology issues, communicating with staff in four regional offices
- Proactively maintain quality of current administrative and technology systems, ensuring stability, health, and efficiency.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of all administrative and technology practices to assess needs, improve workflows, and manage organizational risk.
- Initiate, research, and manage projects to improve CFJ systems. Here are just a few sample projects on our list: Technology: digital security, document management systems, information security, project management software, membership database systems. Administration: lobbying tracking forms, driving & car rental best practices, emergency/disaster plans, student permission slips.
Coordinate and maintain administrative systems
- Coordinate internal communications documents, for example staff directory, internal administrative website, and organization calendar
- Submit nonprofit legal filings as required by state and federal law
- Maintain and ensure compliance with contracts
- Serve as primary contact for insurance policies
- Maintain accurate tracking and management of assets
Maintain and support regional offices
- Coordinate ongoing office maintenance
- Identify and procure new equipment and arrange for equipment repair
- Manage relationships with landlords and vendors
- Support regional staff in designing office space to meet their needs
- Coordinate office moves from start to finish
Coordinate and maintain all technology systems
- Develop and manage technology systems, policies, and protocols
- Identify and procure new computer and office technology and equipment
- Maintain all computers, including network, computers, printers, software, and backup systems
- Provide technical assistance to staff on computer and software issues
- Coordinate with technology vendors as needed for equipment repair
- Administer email systems and document systems, including Google Suite systems (Gmail, Google calendar, Google docs, internal websites, etc.)
- Administer digital security systems to protect against viruses/malware, theft, or loss of data
- Manage other vendor relations and contracts, including phone and internet providers, printer/copier companies, etc.
- Support technology planning, including assessing current and future technology needs.
- Orient and train staff on use of technology
Human Resources & Financial Support (25%)
- Support Operations Manager with some human resource processes, such as payroll, hiring for open positions, and onboarding of new staff
- Support Accountant with some financial processes, such as staff reimbursements & intern payments
- Other duties as needed
Organization-wide responsibilities (5%)
- Participate in CFJ grassroots fundraising campaigns and events.
- Participate in occasional organization-wide campaign events.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Support tracking and reporting of 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
- Make travel and lodging arrangements for team members
- Coordinate logistics for occasional events
- Other duties as needed
- At least one year of experience in administrative functions
- At least one year of experience administering technology systems
- Experience troubleshooting issues with computers and applications
- Familiarity with G Suite (formerly Google Suite) – Gmail, Docs, Drive, and Calendar
- Knowledge of Mac operating systems and software
- Tech savvy and a self-learner – able to identify what you don’t know and find the answer. Resourcefulness, troubleshooting, and problem solving abilities.
- Self-starting and proactive
- Able to set up processes, systems, and workflows, ensure adherence and follow-up, and continually improve them
- Highly organized with respect to documentation, processes and physical spaces
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through. Able to prioritize workflow and to work plan to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to transfer knowledge and train others in the use of technology. Able to negotiate and maintain relationships with outside vendors & contractors. Able to work and support people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, sexual, and gender backgrounds.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel
- Familiarity with other Quickbooks
- Familiarity with Salesforce, CRM systems, and/or project management software
- Familiarity with contracts, insurance, and risk management
- Experience tracking and reporting 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
This position will work out of one of CFJ’s four regional offices. Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
Approximately $21-$26/hour (about $45,500 to $54,500/year), depending on experience and qualifications. CFJ provides a generous benefits package; we pay 100% of monthly premiums for medical, vision, and dental coverage for staff working at least 20 hours a week and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Operations and Technology Associate – Your Name.”