Lead Organizer — Long Beach
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated lead community organizer to help strengthen the regional work in Long Beach of a respected social justice organization. Reporting to the Organizing Director and working closely with other organizers across California, the Lead Organizer is responsible for overseeing CFJ Long Beach work and staff needs in the region. The Lead Organizer should be an experienced community organizer who is ready to lead at a regional and statewide level. The position is full-time and exempt. The lead organizer will work a schedule of approximetely 10 am – 6:30 pm with some late nights, weekends, and student drop offs required. In all duties and responsibilities, this position exercises discretion and independent judgment.
Responsibilities & Duties
Developing and Leading Local and Statewide Campaigns
- Advance local education organizing by developing, executing, and evaluating local campaign demands, tactics, and guiding strategy.
- Extensive use and creation of youth-friendly campaign plans, tools, and
- Build and maintain relationships with key power players and allies in the region through regular engagement in local alliances and coalitions.
- Build and maintain student engagement, ownership and development in all aspects of local and statewide campaign.
- Support statewide campaign through coordinating local campaign events & delegations, and electoral organizing.
Base Building and Leadership Development
- Guide, support, and lead base-building planning efforts including all base-building activities, drives and evaluations of annual goals for membership.
- Lead and train Organizers and Core Leaders in base building efforts through after school and community outreach, classroom presentations, phone-banking, recruitment, and support of school-based chapters.
- Oversee leadership development, including developing and conducting skills building and political education sessions for interns and core leaders.
- Oversee and ensure leadership development tracking using administrative systems and one-on-one leader development and check-ins.
- Coordinate and facilitate regular regional team meetings to develop and check in on progress towards regional and statewide goals.
- Supervise interns and develop and guide individual and regional organizing work plans through regular weekly check-ins.
- Weekly Supervision of two organizers
Fundraising & Local Administration
- Participate in all statewide grassroots fundraising activities, including maintaining a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation and supporting regional staff to meet regional and statewide goals.
- Support any local foundation proposals, site visits and local funding initiatives as needed.
- Complete and submit all administrative and reporting forms. Stay current on administrative policies and procedures and communicate them to organizing staff and students.
- Participate in cross-department committees and organizational teams.
- Serve as an active member of the organization by providing leadership for overall organizational projects and
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience (for example, youth, community, or labor organizing) as a staff, community member, or volunteer.
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills, particularly with high school students. Ability to energize, inspire, and move youth, communities, and allies to action.
- Experience in some of the following areas: campaign strategy, base building, curriculum development, leading alliances, and/or media outreach.
- Commitment to CFJ’s mission of social justice, racial justice and youth empowerment.
- Commitment to the organizing strategies and tactics implemented by CFJ
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and do multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evening and weekend events.
- Strong computer skills with expertise in Microsoft Office and a variety of applications.
- California driver’s license, insurance, and regular access to a 4-5 seat passenger car.
- Supervision experience.
- Experience with Long Beach organizing, education issues or policy, and/or action research.
- Familiarity with Mac operating system.
This position will work out of CFJ’s office in Long Beach. Our office is located on the 6th floor.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
Hourly pay equivalent to approximately $52,100-$62,400 including overtime and depending on experience and qualifications as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Long Beach Lead Organizer – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender non-conforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.