Finance Manager (San Jose)
Do you have three years of bookkeeping under your belt and are looking to broaden your horizons? Californians for Justice is adding a new role of Finance Manager to support our growing organization. The Finance Manager is an exciting opportunity for a bookkeeper to take on an expanded role, including budgeting and strengthening financial systems. We’re looking for a highly organized and accurate team member who has great communication skills and is interested to learn about broader nonprofit finance. If that sounds like a fit, join us!
The Finance Manager reports to the Senior Operations Director and is part of a three-person team of the Operations & HR Manager and Operations & Technology Associate. The position is 80-100% time (negotiable) and exempt.
The position would ideally be based in San Jose, but can be based in Oakland if you’re able to commute to the San Jose office at least twice a week.
Manage all financial transactions and data entry, including:
- Work with staff to collect invoices and reimbursements from all four regions.
- Process invoices and prepare checks for signature on a weekly basis.
- Communicate with outside vendors on accounts payable as needed
- Maintain staff credit cards, including coordinating with staff to facilitate receipt collection and ensuring proper account coding
- Manage grants receivable and accounts receivable: enter G/R and A/R, monitor expected payments and follow up as needed, process bank deposits
- Support the Operations & HR Manager on processing payroll, leave accruals, and managing staff overtime
- Review and enter payroll journal entry twice a month
- Maintain and record prepaid expenses, fixed assets, and vacation liability
- Complete month-end close, including monthly reconciliations of checking account, savings accounts, and credit cards
- Monitor cash flow on a monthly basis
- Maintain proper financial records
- Work closely with external accountant (who works about 4 hours/month) on any complex accounting issues
Financial Management (20-30%)
Work closely with the Senior Operations Director to support and develop CFJ’s internal financial systems, including:
- Manage CFJ’s comprehensive annual budgeting process involving all staff. Manage budget throughout the year, including monitoring spending, providing reports to staff, and building staff members’ budgeting skills.
- Manage annual audit and 990 process from start to finish
- Support development of earned revenue contract budgets
- Prepare financial statements and reports for the management team and board of directors, including forecasts of income and expenses to support decision-making
- Continually improve financial systems and processes. Research and implement new financial systems (for example, fraud prevention, online bill payment, and simpler staff reimbursements)
- Support administrative processes, such as contracts, lobbying tracking, and document management
- Support development team with grant budgets and reporting and other projects as needed
- Organization-wide responsibilities
- Participate in local grassroots fundraising campaigns and events.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaign events.
- Other duties and special projects as needed
- You have at least three years bookkeeping experience, including at least one year of nonprofit bookkeeping and proficiency in basic and intermediate bookkeeping functions.
- You’ve been through a nonprofit audit and know how it works
- You love Excel and frequently use formulas and other features
- You are exceptionally detail-oriented and 99% accurate (no one’s perfect!)
- You love to improve systems and processes, and do it even when no one is looking.
- You have good communication skills and can get what you need from your colleagues to get your work done
- You’re self-directed and have good time management skills
- You share CFJ’s commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Experience with Quickbooks or Quickbooks Online experience
- Proficiency with Google Docs or G Suite
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Tracking and reporting 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
- Nonprofit budgeting
- Preparing a 990 form (annual nonprofit report to the IRS)
- Nonprofit administrative functions
- Experience with Mac computers
This position will work out of CFJ’s offices in San Jose or Oakland. Our San Jose office is located on the ground floor and our Oakland office is located on the second floor (the building does not have an elevator). Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$52,000-$62,500, depending on years of experience and qualifications, as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees and dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Finance Manager 2018 – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.