Finance Director (Flexible location: Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose)
Do you have 5+ years of nonprofit financial management under your belt and are ready to be a leader at a growing nonprofit? The Finance Director role is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced nonprofit with four regional offices. We’re looking for a strategic thinker with strong finance knowledge and exceptional people skills. If that sounds like a fit, join us!
The Finance Director reports to the Senior Operations Director and oversees a team of two (Accounting Manager and Bookkeeper), including directly supervising the Accounting Manager. They are part of a 7-person operations team that includes finance, human resources & administration. The position is full-time and exempt.
The position can be based in any of CFJ’s four offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland or San Jose. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19.
The Finance Director is responsible for all of CFJ’s financial systems. CFJ has a budget of $7.3M, which includes a fiscally sponsored project whose finances require additional tracking and reporting. We currently use Quickbooks Online, Bill.com, and Expensify. Our funding primarily consists of foundation grants, earned revenue contracts, and individual donations. CFJ’s finance team is fully integrated into all organizational-wide efforts, such as organizational culture efforts and staff political education.
Financial Leadership (15%)
In partnership with the Senior Operations Director, provide financial leadership including:
- Lead collaboration and coordination between the finance, HR, and development teams
- Work with the board of directors to support the fulfillment of their financial responsibilities, including but not limited to: coordinating the Audit Committee, orienting and educating new board members, and completing annual conflict of interest forms
- Contribute to relevant conversations of the CFJ Leadership Team as needed. (This position is not currently a member of the Leadership Team, but this could change in the future.)
- Ensure that CFJ’s financial systems meet government compliance requirements and fiscal responsibility standards
- Conduct business planning & scenario planning as needed
- Participate in strategic planning influencing the future course of the organization
Financial Management (40%)
Support and develop CFJ’s internal financial systems, including:
- Manage CFJ’s comprehensive annual budgeting process involving all staff. Manage budget throughout the year, including monitoring spending and building staff members’ budgeting & finance skills. Provide guidance to department directors for the successful financial administration of their departments
- Lead annual audit and 990 from start to finish, including working closely with CPA firm
- Manage grants receivable and accounts receivable
- Prepare financial statements and reports for the management team and board of directors, including forecasts of income and expenses to support decision-making
- Monitor and track CFJ’s financial health, including long-term financial history and trends over time, assessing financial ratios, etc.
- Maintain and update CFJ’s financial policies
- Continually evaluate and improve financial systems and processes. Research and implement new financial systems as needed
- Support CFJ’s development and capacity-building teams with preparing grant & contract budgets & reports, and other projects as needed
- Manage CFJ cash to maximize investment income
- Research and ensure the legal compliance of projects and initiatives that span the finance and program teams.
Financial Oversight (35%)
Oversee all financial transactions for both CFJ and CFJ’s fiscally sponsored project, Youth Organize! California, including:
- Supervise and oversee the work of CFJ’s Accounting Manager, including:
- Payroll journal entry
- Prepaid expenses, fixed assets, and vacation liability
- Month-end close, including reconciliations of bank & credit card accounts
- Cash flow management
- Monthly allocation of fiscally sponsored project’s payroll & personnel expenses
- Redistribution of fiscally sponsored project’s expenses between grant sources
- Lead the financial management of approximately 30-35 foundation grants and earned revenue contracts
- Ensure proper tracking & release of temporarily restricted assets
- Oversee the relationship with Youth Organize! California, CFJ’s fiscally sponsored project, including soliciting feedback and making systems improvements as needed
- Organization-wide responsibilities: Participate in all organizational culture initiatives; staff retreats and staff political education; cross-department committees; grassroots fundraising with individual donors; and occasional campaign events
- Other duties and special projects as needed
- Solid experience and understanding of nonprofit accounting, including experience with temporarily restricted net assets
- Proficiency in intermediate accounting functions, including journal entries
- At least 5 years of increasingly-responsible financial management experience, including developing an organizational budget and managing an audit & 990 process
- Strategic thinker with analytical ability, a positive orientation to problem solving, and the ability to move complex projects forward. Strong facilitative leadership skills
- Effective communicator & collaborator across all levels of leadership and staff and both finance and non-finance colleagues
- Strong supervisory skills and experience. Ability to work well with diverse staff and support their growth and development.
- Proficiency with Google Workspace (previously known as G Suite or Google Docs)
- Proficiency with Excel, including formulas, Pivot tables, and graphs
- You share CFJ’s commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment and are excited to be fully integrated into all organizational-wide efforts, such as organizational culture efforts and staff political education
- Experience with Quickbooks Online, Bill.com and Expensify
- Experience with payroll
- Experience tracking and reporting 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
- Experience with Mac computers
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose. Offices are shared among several employees. (We are temporarily working remotely due to COVID-19.)
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to see or read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids
- Able to speak clearly and in audible tones on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone.
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds
$74,500-$93,000, depending on experience and qualifications, as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Finance Director – Your Name.”
As a multi-racial organization, CFJ is 95% people of color, we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace where every staff member feels heard, supported, valued, and can share their authentic brilliance to move the CFJ mission forward. CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. We are committed to addressing issues of racism and inequity internally and externally.