Events Associate (Flexible location – Oakland, San Jose, Fresno or Long Beach)
The Events Associate has two key roles. They ensure that all Californians for Justice (CFJ) events run smoothly and efficiently, from statewide and regional campaign events to fundraising and donor engagement events, staff retreats, and board meetings. They also provide key events and administrative support to Youth Organize! California Network, a statewide network of grassroots youth organizations co-led by Californians for Justice and the Movement Strategy Center. The Events Associate also plays a support role on the CFJ Development and Operations teams.
The Events Associate reports to CFJ’s Development & Project Director and works with multiple staff at CFJ to coordinate events. They also report to Youth Organize! California staff on Youth Organize! California activities. The position is full-time (40 hours a week) and non-exempt.
- Youth Organize! California Event Logistics & Administrative Support (25-50%, depending on the time of year)
- Lead event logistics and administrative support for approximately 3 retreats and 3 youth organizing institutes and actions around the state annually
- Participate in Youth Organize! California staff team and steering committee meetings related to retreats and events, as needed
- Work with Youth Organize! California staff, partner organizations and affiliated individuals to review and submit reimbursement and check requests, partner agreements, vendor contracts, release forms, and other administrative documents.
- Californians for Justice Event Logistics & Administrative Support (25-50%, depending on the time of year)
- Coordinate logistics for all CFJ events, including but not limited to statewide and regional campaign events, student leadership development events (for example annual Student Leadership Retreat, Summer Youth Leadership Academy, and WAVY summit), fundraising and donor engagement events, staff retreats, and board meetings.
- Collaborate closely with staff event leads to integrate logistics with programming and ensure high quality events.
- Responsibilities include: create logistics timelines and budgets; book event locations and arrange housing; arrange transportation for all staff and participants; coordinate food and materials and work with vendors; and other tasks as needed
- Support Development Team and/or Operations Team
- Provide ongoing administrative support
- Work on special projects as needed
- Experience coordinating events
- Enthusiasm for leveraging events to engage people in CFJ’s community
- Strong project management skills including ability to design work plans, manage multiple tasks and deadlines, and coordinate with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to “manage up” to colleagues to get what you need to get your work done
- Ability to work in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel
- Resourcefulness, troubleshooting, and problem solving abilities
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and in cooperation with others
- Strong commitment to racial and educational justice
- Ability to travel at least once a month within California to coordinate events
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- California driver’s license, insurance, and regular and reliable access to a car.
- Nonprofit experience
- Knowledge of Mac operating systems and software
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Approximately $45,500-54,500 (paid hourly), depending on experience and qualifications. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least 20 hours/week and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Events Associate – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.