Digital Strategist (Flexible Location: Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland or San Jose)
Californians for Justice is growing and seeks additional communications staff to add to our digital capacity and take our communications work to the next level. The Digital Strategist will oversee Californians for Justice social media strategy and postings, grow key audiences and write occasional email and blog content. The Digital Strategist will be supervised by the Strategy Director and work closely with the Communications Manager. This is a great opportunity for a self-starting and highly organized person who knows how to elevate the work of a respected social justice organization.
The Digital Strategist role is a full-time, non-exempt position. The position can be located in any of CFJ’s four regional offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
Job Duties & Expectations
Digital Content Production & Management (40%)
- Identify and lead strategies for growing and retaining key audiences on CFJ social media platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Twitter & Facebook.
- Consistently uplift and engage in racial justice organizing and advocacy work through our social media accounts.
- Oversee CFJ social media accounts and posting schedule, responding to direct messages and engaging with followers in accordance with brand personality, values and communications goals.
- Tap into pop culture, memes and cultural touchstones to keep CFJ’s digital content fresh and appeal to 17-35 year olds, educators and policy maker audiences.
- Use creative tools and software like Canva to create graphics & materials to engage online supporters, influencers, and decision-makers.
- Coordinate with organizing team to gather and uplift timely and relevant content from CFJ regions plus our statewide work
- Monitor and evaluate social media analytics on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram. Share results, and adjust campaigns to improve performance/ROI. Maintain a social media calendar that is integrated with the CFJ’s editorial calendar.
Digital Organizing (25%)
- Sustain and build CFJ’s base of supporters through consistent engagement & digital tactics.
- Engage online base and potential members to move up the ladder of engagement.
- Manage tracking system of online base, allies and influencers.
- Work closely with the Strategy Director/Communications Director, Statewide Campaigns Manager, and Communications Manager to share member stories, CFJ campaign policies and demands through micro-stories, videos, memes, gifs, TikToks, and digital storytelling training, etc.
General Communications Team Duties (25%)
- Attend all Communications Team meetings and contribute ideas for content and engagement.
- Support the Communications team in carrying projects from start to finish.
- Gather stories and content from CFJ regional and statewide work
- Coordinate and/or support statewide internal communication projects
- Uphold CFJ racial justice values in all messaging, social media posts and interactions.
- Track, evaluate, and report on monthly communications goals and progress.
- Support additional communications work including story/content collection.
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Work across multiple teams and regions to support any necessary administration, payroll, or other org-wide duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two years experience working with Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram, and TikTok.
- Strong understanding of where key audiences live on social media platforms
- Ability to utilize social media ads, email database, and digital tactics to target key audiences and decision makers
- Minimum of two years experience with digital/online organizing in racial justice and advocacy campaigns.
- Team player and solutions oriented approach to moving projects forward.
- A commitment to the pacing and rigorous nature of CFJ’s work.
- Strong project management skills. Ability to move a project/campaign from start to finish and work alongside team members to achieve collective goals.
- Knowledge of the organization, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, infrastructure, and a strong knowledge of current affairs, and issues in education and racial justice.
- Thorough knowledge and experience of communication principles, and marketing techniques in social media and other related mediums.
- Knowledge and understanding of current events and social media trends to identify opportunities for advancing our message and visibility.
- Experience with scheduling software like Hootsuite, and emerging technology like Tweetdeck, etc.
- Knowledge and enjoyment of pop culture to ensure youth engagement and delivery of the desired message to the target audience.
- Ability to create compelling graphics and digital collateral for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and email.
- Passion for working with young BIPOC, LGB and TGNC, working-class and immigrant young people ages 17-35 to achieve racial justice and equity in our schools & communities.
- Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and ability to explore education issues with a political/racial justice lens.
- Proficiency with G Suite (formerly Google Apps).
- Moderate-to-advanced graphic design skills and familiarity with Adobe suite software like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- Videographer experience, ability to storyboard, film, edit and publish multimedia projects.
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to see or read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids
- Able to speak clearly and in audible tones on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone.
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$58,240 – $68,000, depending on experience and qualifications, as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time, as well as their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Digital Strategist – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.