Development Manager (Flexible Location — Oakland, San Jose, Long Beach or Fresno)
The Development Manager works with CFJ’s three-person Development Team and our Executive Director to lead CFJ’s foundation fundraising activities. This position reports to the Development and Project Director and works closely with the Development Associate and Communications Manager. The position is full-time and exempt. In all duties and responsibilities, this position exercises discretion and independent judgment.
- Foundation Fundraising (75%)
- Write and submit all foundation grant proposals and reports, currently approximately 50 per year, and expected to grow. Individualize each proposal/report to that particular funder.
- Manage current and prospective foundation portfolios and deadlines
- Work with program staff to track our grant deliverables
- Communicate with current and prospective funders to schedule visits, share information, and respond to requests.
- Conduct research to identify prospective funders.
- Work with administrative and finance staff to reconcile grant and donation records with financial records, and maintain accurate and up-to-date funder and donor files
- Communications (10%)
Support the communications team to correspond with CFJ’s 5,000 online supporters via email and social media.
- Copy edit all blog posts and emails created by Communications Manager including checking for correct grammar, punctuation, and formatting.
- Produce stories reflective of CFJ fundraising perspective once a month
- Participate in bi-weekly communications team meetings to identify annual and event-specific communications strategies and tactics, particularly for increasing fundraising and donor engagement.
- Support special projects as needed – projects may include interviewing youth leaders for articles, calling media outlets, attending events to support social media posting and photography.
- Grassroots Fundraising (10%)
CFJ’s Development Associate coordinates CFJ’s grassroots (individual) fundraising efforts. The Development Manager’s role is to:
- Work with the Development Associate to coordinate planning for our annual fundraising events held in each of our four regions.
- Support the Development Associate to manage individual and organizational donor relationships, including reviewing donor materials and responding to donor requests
- Establish and manage relationships with select individual and major donors
- Organizational Responsibilities (5%)
- Model leadership and participation in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and some regional campaign events.
- Experience in at least ONE of these two areas:
- Manager-level experience in education policy or community organizing
- Two years experience in grant-writing and/or foundation fundraising
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, with experience simplifying complex information for different audiences. Must enjoy writing!
- Demonstrated project management skills, including ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and projects
- Ability and satisfaction working independently; ability to drive your own work
- Good judgment and decision-making, particularly in your interactions with foundations
- Interpersonal skills to develop relationships with staff to foster collaboration and mutual accountability.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- “Good ear” – ability to continuously listen for relevant program information and integrate it into CFJ’s fundraising strategies and grant proposals/reports
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly in English on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$47,500-$57,000, depending on experience and qualifications. CFJ provides a generous benefits package including substantial vacation and full medical, vision, and dental coverage.
How to Apply:
Send a brief writing sample (if available, a grant application or report), your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Manager – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.