Communications Coordinator (Flexible location – Oakland, San Jose, Fresno or Long Beach)
Californians for Justice is a statewide grassroots organization working for racial justice by building the power of youth, communities of color, immigrants, low-income families, and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer, Trans and Gender Non-Conforming communities. Led by students, we organize to advance educational justice and improve our social, economic, and political conditions.
CFJ is a unique and exciting organization. We are the only grassroots organization in California that organizes youth to have a voice in both local and statewide education policy. Our campaign and policy reform goals at the local and statewide levels include adequate and equitable school funding, increased access and success in K-12 and higher education, and ending the “school-to-prison pipeline.” Our recent victories include winning almost $30 million to improve school climate and engagement in California in 2018, a requirement for districts to include student input in school budgeting through our Student Voice Campaign in 2014, and the passage of the historic Local Control Funding Formula in 2013. CFJ currently has four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland and San Jose, 25 full-time equivalent staff and a budget of $2.5 million. CFJ is a great place to work. We value outcomes, process, and relationships, and actively work to make sure our staff have the skills and support to do their jobs well.
Youth Organize! California, a project of Californians for Justice, is a statewide network of grassroots youth organizations dedicated to expanding the capacity of young people and organizations in California to practice transformative youth organizing, build power, and create long-term transformation in our communities.
Californians for Justice and Youth Organize! California (YO! Cali) are growing and seek additional communications staff to add to our capacity and take our communications work to the next level. The Communications Coordinator position will split their time 50/50 between Californians for Justice and YO! Cali communications duties. The Communications Coordinator will oversee Californians for Justice social media postings, schedule email content, and write regularly for our blog and newsletters. They will also will work directly with the YO! Cali team to coordinate communications, messaging, and social media for the YO! Cali statewide network. This is a great opportunity for a self-starting and highly organized person who knows how to support the communications work of respected social justice organizations.
The Communications Coordinator is a full-time, non-exempt position. The Communications Coordinator will report to the CFJ Communications Manager and the YO! Cali Project Director. The position can be located in any of CFJ’s four regional offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
- Youth Organize! California Communications (50%)
- Serve as a member of the YO! Cali anchor staff team and participate in regular team meetings, calls, and in-person retreats
- Design and facilitate virtual and in-person sessions with YO! Cali anchor staff and Steering Committee members to generate communications strategies and develop key messages and frames for the network’s Collective Action, Capacity Building, and Network Building efforts
- Regularly update YO! Cali website content and key pages
- Oversee YO! Cali social media accounts and posting schedule, responding to direct messages and engaging with followers in accordance with brand personality and communications goals
- Use creative tools and software to create graphics and materials to engage online supporters, influencers, and decision-makers
- Create social media toolkits and collateral for YO! Cali social media campaigns and events
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of all YO! Cali social media accounts and messaging
- Support the YO! Cali Project Director, Network Director, and other anchor staff to generate promotional materials for funders and other external partners
- Californians for Justice Communications (50%)
Email Communications and Content Creation
- Manage the planning, development, scheduling, execution, and analysis of email efforts.
- Maintain CFJ’s email list and help build and improve it.
- Schedule email postings in Salsa email software
- Regularly update CFJ publishing tracker to ensure content is shared across blog, email lists, social media accounts and other identified outlets
- Help create and share updates from CFJ’s four regions (Long Beach, Fresno, San Jose and Oakland) with subscribers and digital audience
- Contribute 1-2 pieces a month to CFJ blog and newsletter
- Use creative tools and software like Canva to create graphics & materials to engage online supporters, influencers, and decision-makers.
- Help create, manage, and maximize the performance of paid social media campaigns to reach influencers, decision-makers and supporters.
- Oversee CFJ social media accounts and posting schedule, responding to direct messages and engaging with followers in accordance with brand personality and communications goals
- Monitor and evaluate social media analytics on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram. Share results, and adjust campaigns to improve performance/ROI.
- Manage/monitor social media budget.
- Help develop and present quarterly reports that keep communications team updated on our social media strategy and progress.
General Communications Team Duties
- Attend all Communications Team meetings and contribute ideas for content and strategies
- Support the Communications team and Communications Manager in carrying projects from start to finish
- Demonstrate passion for communities served and uphold CFJ racial justice values in all messaging, social media posts and interactions
- Track, evaluate, and report on monthly communications goals and progress.
- Support Communications Director in managing weekly communication team meetings.
- Other Responsibilities
- Make travel and lodging arrangements for YO! Cali team members
- Coordinate logistics for occasional events
- Other duties as assigned
- At least one year of experience in communications role for nonprofit
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with experience simplifying complex information for a general audience
- At least one year of experience maintaining social media accounts for organization, brand or company
- Problem solver and self-learner – able to identify what you don’t know and find the answer. Resourcefulness in troubleshooting.
- Self-starting and proactive
- Highly organized with respect to documentation, processes and time management
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through. Able to prioritize workflow and to work plan to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to transfer knowledge and train others in the communications systems and processes.
- Able to work and support people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, sexual, and gender backgrounds.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Familiarity with Salsa or another type of email software
- Familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, or Canva
- Experience with G Suite including Google Docs, Sheets, Drive and Calendar
- Experience with WordPress and Drupal
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other social media best practices, scheduling and posting processes
The position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
Approximately $48,200 – $57,700 (paid hourly), depending on experience and qualifications, as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send a brief writing sample (preferably a blog post), your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Coordinator – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.