Bookkeeper (Flexible Location: Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose)
Californians for Justice is a statewide, youth-powered organization fighting to improve the lives of people of color, immigrants, low-income families, LGBQiA2S+/TGNC youth and other marginalized communities. Through organizing in schools and in their neighborhoods, youth who join Californians for Justice become leaders in their own communities. They deepen their knowledge on issues like systemic racism, gender and sexuality, and education inequity, and organize and activate their peers to take action.
CFJ is the only grassroots, youth-powered organization in California that organizes students to have a voice in both local and statewide education policy. Our campaign and policy reform goals include adequate and equitable school funding, increased access and success in K-12 and higher education, and creating Relationship Centered Schools – schools that invest in youth voice, in staff, and in creating space for youth and adults to build positive relationships with one another. CFJ currently has four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, San Jose and Oakland, 43 full-time equivalent staff and a budget of $5.8 million. Including CFJ’s fiscally sponsored project, Youth Organize! California, we have about 50 staff and a budget of $7.3 million..
Californians for Justice has been successful because of our strong, dedicated staff team. CFJ staff are unwavering in their commitment to youth power and racial justice, to building connection and trust with their teams, and have a strong sense of purpose and dignity in their work.
Do you have at least one year of bookkeeping experience with QuickBooks and are looking to join a nonprofit that centers social & racial justice? The Bookkeeper position is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced nonprofit with four regional offices. We’re looking for a highly organized team member with great time management, project management, and communication skills who wants to engage on issues of racial justice. If that sounds like a fit, join us!
The Bookkeeper reports to the Accounting Manager and is part of a 7 person operations team that handles finance, human resources, and administration. The position is full-time and non-exempt.
We currently use Quickbooks Online, Bill.com, and Expensify. Our expenses primarily consist of: intern stipends, staff reimbursements, consulting fees and recurring monthly operations costs. CFJ’s finance team is fully integrated into all organizational-wide efforts, such as organizational culture efforts and staff political education.
- Field frequent communications from staff and answer or reroute as needed. (Staff communication is approximately 50% of the overall responsibility, including remote communication across 4 regions.)
- Process bills and prepare checks for signature on a weekly basis.
- Work with staff to collect bills and reimbursements.
- Communicate with outside vendors on accounts payable.
- Maintain staff credit cards, including coordinating with staff to facilitate receipt collection and ensuring proper account coding.
- Process and forward mail.
- Process and deposit checks.
- Maintain proper financial records.
- Support Accounting Manager on any other finance tasks and projects as needed.
- Support Operations team on other tasks & projects as needed.
- Participate in organization-wide responsibilities: local grassroots fundraising campaigns and events, cross-department committees, and occasional campaign events.
- Other duties and special projects as needed.
- You have at least one year of full-charge bookkeeping experience and understand the full accounting cycle.
- You have experience with Quickbooks or Quickbooks Online.
- You are proficient in basic to intermediate bookkeeping functions.
- You are exceptionally detail-oriented and 99% accurate (no one’s perfect!).
- You have excellent project management skills and are able to track the status of multiple tasks and projects at once.
- You have strong communication skills and communicate effectively with colleagues to get your work done.
- You are able to follow detailed procedures.
- You are comfortable learning new technologies with limited support.
- You are familiar with Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- You share CFJ’s commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment.
- Bookkeeping experience at a nonprofit organization
- Proficiency with G Suite/Google Workspace
- Experience with Mac computers
This position will work out of one of CFJ’s offices: Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose. (We are temporarily working remotely due to COVID-19.) Candidates may choose their preferred location. Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$26.21 – $31.40 per hour (approximate annual earnings of $54,500 – $65,300, plus overtime), depending on experience and qualifications as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, cover letter, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Bookkeeper 2022 – Your Name.” In your cover letter, please include your qualifications and why you want to work for our nonprofit.
As a multi-racial organization (CFJ is 95% people of color), we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace where every staff member feels heard, supported, valued, and can share their authentic brilliance to move the CFJ mission forward. CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. We are committed to addressing issues of racism and inequity internally and externally.