Bookkeeper — San Jose
Do you have at least one year of bookkeeping experience and are looking to join a nonprofit that centers social & racial justice? The Bookkeeper position is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced nonprofit with four regional offices. We’re looking for a highly organized team member with great project management and communication skills who wants to engage on issues of racial justice. If that sounds like a fit, join us!
The Bookkeeper reports to the Accounting Manager and is part of a 5 to 6 person operations team that handles finance, human resources, and administration. The position is full-time and non-exempt.
- Process bills and prepare checks for signature on a weekly basis.
- Work with staff to collect bills and reimbursements.
- Field frequent communications from staff and answer or reroute as needed.
- Communicate with outside vendors on accounts payable.
- Maintain staff credit cards, including coordinating with staff to facilitate receipt collection and ensuring proper account coding.
- Process and forward mail.
- Process and deposit checks.
- Maintain proper financial records.
- Support Accounting Manager on any other finance tasks and projects as needed.
- Support Operations team on other tasks & projects as needed.
- Participate in organization-wide responsibilities: local grassroots fundraising campaigns and events, cross-department committees, and occasional campaign events.
- Other duties and special projects as needed.
- You have at least one year of full-charge bookkeeping experience and understand the full accounting cycle.
- You are proficient in basic to intermediate bookkeeping functions.
- You are exceptionally detail-oriented and 99% accurate (no one’s perfect!).
- You have excellent project management skills and are able to track the status of multiple tasks and projects at once.
- You have strong communication skills and communicate effectively with colleagues to get your work done.
- You are able to follow detailed procedures.
- You are comfortable learning new technologies with limited support.
- You have experience with Quickbooks or Quickbooks Online.
- You are familiar with Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- You share CFJ’s commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment.
- Bookkeeping experience at a nonprofit
- Proficiency with G Suite/Google Workspace
- Experience with Mac computers
This position will work out of CFJ’s San Jose office. (We are temporarily working remotely due to COVID-19.) Our office is located on the ground floor. Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$48,000-$61,500, depending on years of experience and qualifications. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees and dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, cover letter, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Bookkeeper 2020 – Your Name.” In your cover letter, please include your qualifications and why you want to work for our nonprofit.
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.