Accounting Manager — Flexible Location (Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose)
Do you have 3-5 years of accounting under your belt and are looking to support a growing nonprofit? The Accounting Manager is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced nonprofit with four regional offices. We’re looking for a highly organized and accurate team member who has great communication skills. If that sounds like a fit, join us!
The Accounting Manager reports to the Senior Operations Director and supervises a part-time bookkeeper. They are part of an operations team that also includes the Operations & HR Manager and Operations Associate. The position is full-time and exempt.
The position can be based in any of CFJ’s four offices – Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland or San Jose.
Manage all financial transactions and data entry for both CFJ and CFJ’s fiscally sponsored project, Youth Organize! California, including:
- Supervise and oversee the work of CFJ’s part-time bookkeeper, who is responsible for:
- Processing invoices and preparing checks for signature on a weekly basis.
- Working with staff to collect invoices and reimbursements.
- Communicating with outside vendors on accounts payable.
- Maintaining staff credit cards, including coordinating with staff to facilitate receipt collection and ensuring proper account coding.
- Work closely with Youth Organize! California, CFJ’s fiscally sponsored project, to ensure exchange of information
- Manage grants receivable and accounts receivable: enter G/R and A/R, monitor expected payments and follow up as needed, process bank deposits
- Review and enter payroll journal entry
- Maintain and record prepaid expenses, fixed assets, and vacation liability
- Complete month-end close, including monthly reconciliations of checking account, savings accounts, and credit cards
- Monitor cash flow
- Maintain proper financial records
- Ensure proper tracking of temporarily restricted assets
- Support the Operations & HR Manager on processing payroll, leave accruals, and managing staff overtime
Financial Management (30%)
Work closely with the Senior Operations Director to support and develop CFJ’s internal financial systems, including:
- Manage annual audit and 990 process from start to finish
- Support administrative processes, such as contracts and document management
- Continually improve financial systems and processes
- Support CFJ’s budget by monitoring spending & providing regular reports to staff
- Prepare financial statements and reports for the board of directors
- Organization-wide responsibilities
- Participate in local grassroots fundraising campaigns and events.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaign events.
- Other duties and special projects as needed
- You have at least 3-5 years accounting experience, including at least one year of nonprofit experience
- Proficiency in intermediate accounting functions
- You’ve been through a nonprofit audit and know how it works
- You love Excel and frequently use formulas and other features
- You are exceptionally detail-oriented and 99% accurate (no one’s perfect!)
- You love to improve systems and processes, and do it even when no one is looking.
- You have good communication skills and can get what you need from your colleagues to get your work done
- You’re self-directed and have good time management skills
- You share CFJ’s commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- Experience with Quickbooks or Quickbooks Online
- Proficiency with Google Docs or G Suite
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Preparing a 990 form (annual nonprofit report to the IRS)
- Tracking and reporting 501(c)(3) lobbying activities
- Nonprofit budgeting
- Nonprofit administrative functions
- Experience with Mac computers
This position will work out of one of CFJ’s four locations in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose. Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$52,000-$62,500 (open to negotiation), depending on years of experience and qualifications, as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees and dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send your resume, cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Accounting Manager 2020 – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.